Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Confusing World of Eating Right

It’s the New Year, and it seems like this year, more than ever, people are focusing on getting healthy-eating better, being more active…including me and those I work with. We decided to use the Daniel Plan, (www.danielplan.com) and have committed to exercising together. As the registered dietitian, they looked to me to tell them what to eat.

 Because I am a registered dietitian, I believe I take a more moderate approach to nutrition and weight management due to my education. I think that eating vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein, and low fat dairy is the way to go. Weight loss happens when you consistently eat fewer calories than you use. Many plans, especially ones that are focusing on improving health status, have many more dietary recommendations than that-like no sugar, no wheat, no dairy, and no processed foods.

 I’ve done some reading to try to sort through what to eat and what not to eat. As the “nutrition expert”, I feel like I need to have a good understanding of this. I am now more confused than ever. No wonder people just give up trying to eat well. Here’s what I’ve come up with:

Foods that are ok to eat:
Vegetables
Fruits
Raw Nuts
Legumes
Olive oil

Foods that are NOT ok to eat:
Fried foods
White flour, white rice, white pasta
Processed foods
Sodas
Sugar
Candy Pies/pastry/cookies/cakes
Ice cream
Artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners
Trans fats, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats

Foods that I’m not sure about:
Farm raised fish
Tuna, swordfish
Peanuts/natural peanut butter
Low fat milk
Plain yogurt
Lean poultry and meat
Eggs
Whole wheat
Other whole grains
Caffeine

All this investigation has made me feel like I don’t know much about nutrition. It seems like there are many foods that have both benefits and drawbacks. It’s my job to take all the research and information that’s out there about nutrition, and turn it into something meaningful for people. If I can’t figure it out, how can others? I wonder if people in other professions feel the same way. Do exercise scientists agonize over which type of exercise is best?

As a result of my frustration, I might have eaten badly last night. I’m not really sure. I had whole wheat pasta with kale, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and a little goat cheese. I had fresh fruit with vanilla yogurt and granola for dessert. Epic fail or good job? I’m not sure.

I really want to be more fit and look better. I don’t know if weight loss is realistic for me, but that would be nice, as well. I know that exercise and nutrition are equally important to be in the best of health. So, I have formulated a strategy for eating, which may or may not change as time goes on.

I’m going to try to eat mostly from the ok group and stay away from the not ok group. I know that a little sugar is still going to sneak in (there was some in the vanilla yogurt and granola). I’m probably going to continue eating the foods I’m not sure about. When I think about all the nutrients packed in the foods on that list, it seems ridiculous to exclude them from my diet.I can’t function without a cup of coffee, but I rarely have more than one cup.I’m also going to try to focus on eating because I’m hungry. I think that fruit and yogurt concoction was a result of frustration, not because I needed calories.

So that’s what I’ve come up with. I hope it helps you sort through all the nutrition information and misinformation that’s out there. But if it doesn’t, I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment